17 May 2010

I survived!

             So I survived my first day of fieldwork! Erica and I flipped for which supervisor we got because we were both afraid of one of the supervisors! I got Connie, so I will be working with adult psych patients. They are all very close to my age, some are a few years older! It is kind of scary. They just seem like a crowd you would see out on the streets in a large city. I will be leading my own group at week 7. At week 3, I will choose one of the patients to do a one-on-one treatment with, and I will also perform an extensive case study on them. I will do a lot of evaluations this summer. My first assignment is to spend four hours on the ward by myself just “hanging” out with the patients and getting to know them. Everyone here is very laid back, and it is hard to distinguish between the staff and the patients sometimes. The only difference is that the staff wears nametags! I will be leading a lot of groups with my supervisor. Most everyone that works at the hospital has a lot of family members that work there also. I feel like this summer will be very challenging for me in a lot of ways, but in a good way. I am exhausted after just my first day of work. P.S. in the lunch line today they asked me if I wanted soup or a sandwich… I told them a sandwich. I got cheese and bread. I even asked for extra mustard. Ha. Needless to say, I did not eat my cheese sandwich and I was starving by the end of the day! I will get a chance to see forensic psych and geriatric psych. We also have assignments to tour the group home in downtown Spokane and to attend two support groups. One is for depression and the other is for schizophrenics. I am anxious to see what the summer has in store! Everyone has pegged us from the beginning that we are from the south.


I will leave you with a new but inappropriate joke my I heard today from a patient:

Why is Dolly Parton afraid of the jungle?

Answer: the booby traps!

No comments:

Post a Comment